The need to revitalize appointment system in the treatment and management of patients in health care service: a focus on Federal Medical Centre, Asaba
The need to revitalize appointment system in the treatment and management of patient in health care industry is to establish a policy in the outpatient system of seeing a doctor in the health care industry. Appointment system in health care industry is the pre-timing of a patient visit to the hospital for consultation with a doctor.
For appointment system to be revitalized in the treatment and management of patient in the health care industry is to establish a policy in the health care that will regulate the health team and patients. This will reduce patient waiting time and doctor’s overtime. Service time is not changed and patients are assumed to be punctual if they come for their appointment. Substantial reductions in waiting time can be obtained over traditional scheduling practice and the procedure easily implemented by the various schedule, one the optimal policy is established.
Appointment can be revitalized when a patient is asked to put down his/her phone number for remembrance in case the patient forgets his/her appointment date. There should be disciplinary actions taken against any patient who fails to be punctual on his/her clinic days however, when giving time to patients, the record officer should checkmate the distance, the patient is from to enable them meet up with time.
Statement of Problem
The issue long queues of patient waiting to consult a doctor in Federal Medical Centre, Asaba has reached a worrisome state which has lead to the demand for the revitalization of appointment system in the hospital. A proper appointment system in a hospital go a long way to benefit both the patient and the hospital staff concerned. The effectiveness depends upon continuous co-operation between the medical, paramedical, nurses, health records and administrative staff through maximum co-operation to revitalize appointment system in the treatment and management of patient in the health care industry.
i. Are the people attending Federal Medical Centre aware of appointment system in the hospital?
ii. Is a patient waiting time in the hospital reduced?
iii. What are the systems applied in order to make patient not to be overcrowding?
iv. Are patients properly managed by the health team in the hospital?
Section A (Identification)
1) Sex: Male ( ) Female ( )
2) Age: 15 — 25 years ( ) 26 — 35 years ( ) 36 years & above ( )
Section B (Questions)
1. Do you understand what patient appointment is all about? Yes ( ) No( ).
2. Do you think Federal Medical Centre, Asaba has good appointment system? Yes ( ) No ( ).
3. Is there good patients/staff relationship on appointment in this hospital? Yes ( ) No ( ).
4. Have you ever been booked for appointment in this hospital before? Yes( )No( ).
5. Can a patient rely on appointment system in this hospital? Yes ( ) No( ).
6. Are adequate preparation made for patients on appointment in the hospital? Yes ( ) No ( ).
7. Do the general public speak well of the appointment system in this hospital? Yes ( ) No ( ).
8. Do you believe on the adequacy of the appointment system in this hospital? Yes ( ) No ( ).
9. Do staffs perform adequately as arranged for patients on appointment? Yes ( ) No ( ).
10. Does the hospital have enough staffs to mount the appointment? Yes( ) No( )
11. Are the services of the hospital efficient for patients on appointment? Yes ( ) No ( ).
12. Do patients meet up the appointment schedule? Yes( ) No( ).
13. Are you convinced of the need for any improvement on the appointment system in this hospital? Yes ( ) No ( ).